Access to the nest of kestrel via webcams:
Welcome to the nest of “Kestrel of Théding“!
This site dedicated to the common kestrel, created in 2007, allows to view the nest of a couple during the breeding period. Also, since 2019, some birds, neighbours of the common kestrel, are also visible by webcam: see the tab “other webcams”.
The kestrel family has settled (since 1996) in a niche used to aerate the hay stored in the attic of an old farm. To improve the bird’s comfort , a nest box has been installed.
The nesting box brought into service has a large nesting chamber, in addition to a “corridor” accessed from the outside. The exterior is constructed with a platform and ledges. This nest box protects from bad weather but also from the sun.
The nesting box has been integrated with 2 motorized webcams connected to the internet using several meters long Ethernet cable. An electrical installation has been installed in the attic. The virtual video server makes it possible to broadcast live video on the internet.
More technical information by reading the ‘behind the scenes‘ page.
No artificial lighting is added. However, at night, infrared lighting takes over. Hawks are diurnal birds, so their activity can be observed during the day.
Live video is available 24/7 during the breeding season, approximately from February to July. This is where you can follow their adventure from the courtship display to the flight of the young birds, by going through the photo / video gallery to get insight of the story this year and previous years .
- Click the button in the center of the video.
- Check the icon is red ; if not, click on it (a few seconds may be necessary to return to live watching).
- Adjust the image quality settings by clicking the button to choose the highest possible digit (if your internet connection allows it! otherwise keep it in 'Auto').
- Control the live action thanks to the cursor , possibility to rewing 12 hours back! The button becomes grey.
- Tip: turn off the sound of one of the two webcams so you do not have an echo.
- Mobile version: follow the user guide in the 'Mobile version' tab.
- Discover the story of the year in pictures and videos by clicking on the 'Gallery' tab.
- Take part in the chat and share your observations!
Please be courteous and polite; the subject is strictly concerning birds, animals and nature in general; avoid talking about something too personal or in anyways detrimental to the interest at hand. Always try to use the same nickname in order to be recognised by other chatters (you can personalise your name by clicking on "personnalisez votre nom ici" under the message bar in edit)
- You can also publish your photos of the birds of Théding (and elsewhere!) on the Facebook group linked to this website.
Go to the “News” page for the latest:
Visit the Facebook group to discover the Internet users publications (and share your own story!) about the birds of Théding (and elsewhere):
Also, the chat allows you to share the latest events!
Want to view all the cameras on one screen so you can be everywhere at the same time? Try the mosaic:
Are you browsing from a smartphone or tablet?
In this case, watching live videos and especially replay is perhaps more practical from the YouTube application; click the button to test: